[Erlug] help per model ADSL

To: ERlug - Lista Pubblica <erlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Erlug] help per model ADSL
From: pierluigi <iw4blg@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:59:47 +0200
Salve,

sarà che forse non è proprio il mio mestiere.. ma ancora una volta ho bisogno di un po' d aiuto.
Qualche tempo fa avevo deciso di passare all'ADSL.
Avevo cercato un modem che paresse facile da usare anche con Linux.
Alla fine avevo scelto lo Speedtouch Alcatel 330 USB, consigliato anche dal mio ISP.
Arrivato modem, attivata linea.
Installato sotto Win-XP (ho un PC dual boot) no problem, almeno so che linea e modem sono ok.
Cerco in rete come farlo andae con Linux e trovo la pagina, apparentemente chiara e completa che riporto in calce.
Scarico i files e segueo passo passo la procedura proposta, tutto bene all'inizio, ma.....
al passo 4, il comando "make" mi ritorna vari errori e non riesco ad andare oltre.....
Onestamente, leggendo l'output non riesco a capire dove mettere le mani....
Ecco cosa succede dal "./configure" in poi:

linux:/tmp/330USB/speedtouch-1.2-beta2 # ./configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking stdio.h usability... yes
checking stdio.h presence... yes
checking for stdio.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking errno.h usability... yes
checking errno.h presence... yes
checking for errno.h... yes
checking time.h usability... yes
checking time.h presence... yes
checking for time.h... yes
checking signal.h usability... yes
checking signal.h presence... yes
checking for signal.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking termios.h usability... yes
checking termios.h presence... yes
checking for termios.h... yes
checking limits.h usability... yes
checking limits.h presence... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking stdarg.h usability... yes
checking stdarg.h presence... yes
checking for stdarg.h... yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking sys/resource.h usability... yes
checking sys/resource.h presence... yes
checking for sys/resource.h... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h usability... yes
checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes
checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
checking for sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/stat.h... (cached) yes
checking sys/time.h usability... yes
checking sys/time.h presence... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking sys/param.h usability... yes
checking sys/param.h presence... yes
checking for sys/param.h... yes
checking sys/socket.h usability... yes
checking sys/socket.h presence... yes
checking for sys/socket.h... yes
checking syslog.h usability... yes
checking syslog.h presence... yes
checking for syslog.h... yes
checking for pid_t... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking return type of signal handlers... void
checking for alarm... yes
checking for gettimeofday... yes
checking for memmove... yes
checking for memset... yes
checking for mkfifo... yes
checking for select... yes
checking for strdup... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
checking for rpm... /usr/src/packages
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating doc-linux/Makefile
config.status: creating doc-bsd/Makefile
config.status: creating speedtouch.spec

linux:/tmp/330USB/speedtouch-1.2-beta2 # make
cd src && make
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/330USB/speedtouch-1.2-beta2/src'
gcc -Wall -I. -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -O2 -DVERSION=\"1.2-beta2\" -D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -o pusb.o -c pusb-linux.c
In file included from /usr/include/linux/usb.h:5,
                 from pusb-linux.c:42:
/usr/include/linux/usb_ch9.h:106: error: syntax error before "__le16"
/usr/include/linux/usb_ch9.h:108: error: syntax error before "wLength"
/usr/include/linux/usb_ch9.h:233: error: syntax error before "__le16"
pusb-linux.c:66: error: redefinition of `struct usb_device_descriptor'
pusb-linux.c: In function `pusb_control_msg':
pusb-linux.c:164: error: structure has no member named `requesttype'
pusb-linux.c:165: error: structure has no member named `request'
pusb-linux.c:166: error: structure has no member named `value'
pusb-linux.c:167: error: structure has no member named `index'
pusb-linux.c:168: error: structure has no member named `length'
make[1]: *** [pusb.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/330USB/speedtouch-1.2-beta2/src'
make: *** [modem] Error 2
linux:/tmp/330USB/speedtouch-1.2-beta2 #
Insomma, un macello.....
qualcuno che voglia perdere un po' di tempo ad aiutarmi a venirne fuori?

Uso:

Athlon XP 3000
768RAM
SuSE 9.3

Grazie a tutti.....

Pierluigi

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a short howto to get the speedtouch 330 by Alcatel/Thompson working with Linux.  The speedtouch 330 is a new type of USB-modem which is given out by many providers. There were no good drivers to get this modem going, but the new versions work ok. Since I no longer have the modem myself I will not be able to help people with installing this modem. However I will for now leave this page up as a guide. Below I will describe the steps to take.
Here is a picture of the modem.

Speedtouch 330
Speedtouch 330

Now for the actual steps to get things going:

0. ASSUMPTIONS

Before starting you should at least have:
- A kernelversion of 2.4.18 or higher
- pppd is installed
- A pppd version of at least 2.4.1

1. MODEM

Do not attach the modem untill step 7.

2. DOWNLOADING OF FILES

a) The usb-modem microcode from Alcatel/Thompson
b) The usb-modem drivers
c) Configuration files

In this Howto all these files have been put in /tmp/

3. USB-MODEM MICROCODE

I do all my work in /tmp, so please substitute /tmp with your path if you choose a different location.

Unpack the microcode with:

cd /tmp/
tar -zxvf speedmgmt.tar.gz

Copy the microcode file to a permanent location. I chose /usr/local/lib, but this is arbitrary.

cp mgmt/mgmt.o /usr/local/lib/

4. THE USB-MODEM DRIVERS

Unpack the drivers:

cd /tmp/
tar -zxvf speedtouch_1.2-beta2.tar.gz

Now compile the drivers:

cd /tmp/speedtouch/
./configure
make
make install

If all went well you should have pppoa3 and modem_run in /usr/local/sbin/

5. MAKING THE  SCRIPTS

The files which should be made/altered are:

/etc/ppp/peers/adsl
/etc/ppp/options.adsl
/etc/ppp/options (this one should be empty)
/usr/bin/start-adsl
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets
/etc/modules.conf

The files above are in the config_files.tar.gz package which were downloaded in step 2. The will have to  be put in the right location.
This can be done as follows:

cd /tmp
tar -zxvf config_files.tar.gz
cd config_files
mkdir /etc/ppp/peers
cp adsl /etc/ppp/peers/
cp options.adsl /etc/ppp/
mv /etc/ppp/options /etc/ppp/options.old
             (backup of the old options file)
cp options /etc/ppp/
cp start-adsl /usr/bin
mv /etc/ppp/pap-secrets /etc/ppp/pap-secrets.old
          (backup of the old pap-secrets file)
cp pap-secrets /etc/ppp/

6. ALTER THE SCRIPTS

/etc/modules.conf can't be replaced, because this file contains important stuff. The lines in the provided modules.conf have to be added to the already exsisting file with an editor.

Finally the logonid and password have to be added to two files.

In /etc/ppp/peers/adsl replace username with your logonid. This is usually something like username@provider-typeof-adsl.
It has to have quotation marks around it: "username@provider-typeof-adsl"

In /etc/ppp/pap-secrets replace username with your logonid and password with your password. This time no quotation marks around the username and password!

The files are aimed at dutch users. This means that if you are not using ADSL in the Netherlands, you may have to alter the supplied values for vpi and vci in /etc/ppp/peers/adsl. The correct numbers can be found pretty easily on the internet or in newsgroups.

This is what I know so far:

Country
vpi
vci
Netherlands
8
48
Great Brittain
0
38
Belgium
8
35

7. START ADSL-CONNECTION

Now it's time to plug in the modem. Now you can enter in a terminal:

start-adsl         (or when /usr/bin isn't in your searchpath type /usr/bin/start-adsl)

Now you should see a connection come up. Be patient because the process could take 30 seconds or so.