[Erlug] Life span of a vulnerable Linux system

To: erlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Erlug] Life span of a vulnerable Linux system
From: "Guido Bolognesi [Zen]" <zen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 00:00:59 +0100
dal blog di bruce schneier [1] che cita a sua volta l'honeynet project[2]:

"Recent data from our honeynet sensor grid reveals that the average life expectancy to compromise for an unpatched Linux system has increased from 72 hours to 3 months. This means that a unpatched Linux system with commonly used configurations (such as server builds of RedHat 9.0 or Suse 6.2) have an online mean life expectancy of 3 months before being successfully compromised."
-
This is much greater than that of Windows systems, which have average life expectancies on the order of a few minutes.
[...]
Why? My guess is a combination of two reasons. One, Linux is that much more secure than Windows. Two, the bad guys are focusing on Windows -- more bang for the buck.

[1] http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/01/linux_security_1.html
[2] http://www.honeynet.org/papers/trends/life-linux.pdf