Re: [Erlug] domanda per i debianisti piu` esperti

To: erlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Erlug] domanda per i debianisti piu` esperti
From: Palumbo Daniele <rocco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:11:53 +0100
On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 05:51:53PM +0100, Guido Bolognesi [Zen] wrote:
>root@inferno:~# ls -ld /usr/include/linux*
>lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           28 Nov 19 17:49 /usr/include/linux ->
>/usr/src/linux/include/linux/
>drwxr-xr-x   15 root     root        17816 Nov 17 12:29
>/usr/include/linux.orig/
>
>       grezzo ma funzionale.
>       Generalmente lo controllo quando cambio versione di libc-dev

volevo un attimo mettere avanti le manine:
molti (linus) in questo momento consigliano di non creare il symlink in
questione.
a suffragio della mia teoria
http://www.faqs.org/docs/linux_scratch/chapter06/kernel.html

---
6.11.3. Why we copy the kernel headers and don't symlink them

In the past it was common practice to symlink the /usr/include/{linux,asm}
directories to /usr/src/linux/include/{linux,asm}. This was a bad practice, as
the following extract from a post by Linus Torvalds to the Linux Kernel Mailing
List points out:

I would suggest that people who compile new kernels should:

 - not have a single symbolic link in sight (except the one that the
   kernel build itself sets up, namely the "linux/include/asm" symlink
   that is only used for the internal kernel compile itself)

And yes, this is what I do. My /usr/src/linux still has the old 2.2.13
header files, even though I haven't run a 2.2.13 kernel in a _loong_
time. But those headers were what glibc was compiled against, so those
headers are what matches the library object files.

And this is actually what has been the suggested environment for at
least the last five years. I don't know why the symlink business keeps
on living on, like a bad zombie. Pretty much every distribution still
has that broken symlink, and people still remember that the linux
sources should go into "/usr/src/linux" even though that hasn't been
true in a _loong_ time.

The essential part is where Linus states that the header files should be the
ones which glibc was compiled against. These are the headers that should be
used when you later compile other packages, as they are the ones that match the
object-code library files. By copying the headers, we ensure that they remain
available if later you upgrade your kernel.

Note, by the way, that it is perfectly all right to have the kernel sources in
/usr/src/linux, as long as you don't have the /usr/include/{linux,asm} symlinks.
---

speriamo di scatenare una guerra :)

bye
daniele