Re: [Erlug] ???????

To: erlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Erlug] ???????
From: Shine <ba11944@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 12:29:08 +0200

Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 19:27:41 -0700
From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: Alexander Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, ftpadmin@xxxxxxxxxx,
   linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Linux-2.5.18

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, 24 May 2002, Alexander Viro wrote:
>
>>Erm.  Looks like ftp.kernel.org is neither here nor there.  Or, at least,
>>doesn't accept connections to ports 21 and 80...
>
> Hmm.. Right you are. I always push my kernels to "master.kernel.org", and
> they get mirrored from there automatically, but yes, something appears
> broken with the rest of kernel.org..

kernel.org had a multiple-disk failure and lost its archive RAID.  From
the looks of it, several disks started developing "threshhold" failures
at least two weeks ago, possibly in conjunction with the system being
moved to a new rack.  Unfortunately the RAID controller didn't down the
disks as they started having problems, and the system was allowed to
keep running until it finally crashed due to data corruption.

Compaq is investigating the failure, and will probably give us the
hardware for the #2 server that we asked for a few months ago (they've
been occupied with some kind of merger...)

        -hpa

Cmq, ci sono sempre i mirror....

        Bye

             http://weblab.deis.unibo.it/Shine