[Erlug] Uhhuh.. 2.4.12

To: erlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Erlug] Uhhuh.. 2.4.12
From: Maurizio Lemmo - Tannoiser <tann@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 13:16:51 +0200
Subject: Uhhuh.. 2.4.12
From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 00:04:49 AKDT

2.4.11 had a fix for a symlink DoS attack, but sadly that fix broke
the creation of files through a dangling symlink rather badly (it
caused the inode to be created in the very same inode as the symlink,
with unhappy end results).

Happily nobody uses that particular horror - or _almost_ nobody does.
It looks like at least the SuSE installer (yast2) does, which causes
nasty unkillable inode as /dev/mouse if you use yast2 on 2.4.11.

("debugfs -w rootdev" + "rm /dev/mouse" will remove it, although I
suspect there are other less drastic methods too if your fsck doesn't
seem to notice anything wrong with it. Only one report of this
actually happening so far).

So I made a 2.4.12, and renamed away the sorry excuse for a kernel
that 2.4.11 was.

                Linus

---
courtesy by shine.

--
I'm all for computer dating, but I wouldn't want one to marry my sister.

Maurizio - Tannoiser - Lemmo
STIGE Srl Servizi Informatici
Founder Member of ERLUG (Emilia Romagna Linux User Group)
http://erlug.linux.it