Re: [Erlug] libranet e il cursore di X

To: erlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Erlug] libranet e il cursore di X
From: Alessandro Ronchi <ronchi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 00:38:36 +0200
At 17.09 05/09/01 +0200, you wrote:
Luca

P.S: Naturalmente ha anche un modem interno rockwell RS56 molto winmodem. Se
qualcuno ha dei suggerimenti....

Allego un file che spiega tutto quello che so.

Alessandro Ronchi, Rappresentante degli studenti nel consiglio
di Corso di laurea di Scienze dell'informazione e nel consiglio
di Polo Cesenate.
http://rappresentanti.csr.unibo.it
http://www.littlepenguin.org/~ronchi

Linux on a Compaq 1600 XL HOWTO

Written by Ronchi Alessandro

Click on the image to see a more detailed one.

Here is the specifics of that notebook:
Component Information Working?
CPU Genuine Intel Celeron Mendocino 466 Mhz (Bogomips 927.33 Y
Memory 64 Mb (I use 8 of this for the videoram) Y
Floppy Unknown 1.44MB 3.5'' Y
Hard Disk Fujitsu 6Gb ATAPI / IDE Y
DVD Rom Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-C2302 ATAPI/IDE Y
Modem Conexant HSP MicroModem 56K pci (Winmodem) N
Monitor: XTFT 14 '' Y
Video Card Trident Microsystems Cyberblade (generic) Cyberblade i1 pci Y
Sound Card Via Technologies Inc. VT82C686 pci [Apollo Super Ac97/audio] Y
Touchpad   Y

Thanks to Harddrake for those informations :) ( you can download it at http://www.linux-mandrake.com/harddrake )
The only thing that can't work with linux is the Conexant winmodem. Some people are working hard to make it call, but Conexant doesn't release the specifics of the modem so it's a long way...Maybe write to Conexant to ask it!.
See those urls to get more information:

http://www.linmodems.org

http://home.snafu.de/wehe/modem_linux.html
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/3217/Documents/WinModems.html
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
http://linmodems.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?1:mss:2757:hnbbodehlifaahoblond
http://linmodems.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?1:mss:2765:200102:oonhggjbpkiielnoodfa
http://walbran.org/sean/linux/linmodem-howto.html

With the help of Andreas Kluemper, I'm working to find if there is a possibility for the winmodem to wok. There is a email that he sent to me, explaining his experiments:

Regarding the modem I did the following:

I got the driver from http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html by clicking HSF_V1.01.02_K2.2.14.tar[.gz] (I tried the other version as well)

Uncompressing (etc.) yields a subdirectory
PCI_56K_V2/
which I moved to
/etc/PCI_56K_V2/
(From here everything as root.)

I modified the file "lin_hsf.inf" in the manner Magnus.Martensson described (text attached below). I had to cope with the kernel-module version mismatch (I am running SuSE 7.0 kernel 2.2.16 on a Compaq Presario 1600 with winmodem, Conexant chipset).
According to advice by Magnus.Martensson I replaced all
insmod (rest of line)
in ins_all by
insmod -f (rest of line)
Then I ran ins_all

Since, the modem is alive and is answering to at-commands in minicom, however no phone connection is built up. The commands

atz
atdt3547
result in an error message "no dialtone". The commands

atz
atx
atdt3547

let the modem continue, but nothing happens. (Under Windows the target phone actually rings.) I tried the following strategy: as my modem has been manufactured by Askey (according to the label) there might be compatibility problems with Olitec drivers. I have downloaded the PCI 56K V2 driver for Olitec under Windows. (look at web-site http://olitec.com/fondecrandem3.html#

I am using German, but checked the English page which is strange. So please click the German flag, then click the button "download", then go to the menue "wahlen sie ihr modem", click "carte pci", then choose "Treiber Windows".) The use of this driver resulted into a strange situation. The modem is not working anylonger (under Windows). So it is neither dialing nor answering to at-commands. Probably, I have to repeat my experiment as I am not familiar with Windows and have screwed up the installation of the Olitec driver. Anyway, the device manager told me that (nex) Conexant driver files were available (or loaded or whatsoever). Please let me know about any success you have.

With best regards, Andreas Kluemper

I've installed a Mandrake 7.2 distribution. It doesn't recognize our graphic card, but the only thing you have to do is to replace the /etc/X11/XF86Config with the one provided in this page. (Read the files table). I use the touchpad or an external ps2 mouse, there's no problem with the configuration.

This notebook has a confortable little display that shows the battery status, so I have not installed any dock to show the apm status in my desktop. Just run "apm" on a console if you want the % of charge.

And here is my configuration files:

Kernel Configuration (version 2.2.4-test11).
The soundcard works with the Via kernel driver, just do a modprobe to load the modules:
.config

Xfree Configuration (for version 3.3.6)

It's with italian keyboard, so if you want an other country map just modify the keyboard section and substitute the "it" with your keymap.

I've tried to find a working XF86Config for the new Xfree 4, but without success. If you find one, send it to me.

I use 8 Mb for the videoram, setted from the bios. To use the mtrr acceleration, execute this command (after recompiling the kernel, with my .config file or with mtrr enabled):

echo "base=0xF5000000 size=8192k type=write-combining" >/proc/mtrr

XF86Config
I'm working to use the special internet keys over the keyboard, so stay tuned!

For any question, email to me: zoddo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Please email to me any thing you want to add to this page.